Everything tastes better when you eat it outside, don’t you think? Whether that’s a garden, a balcony, a park or the seaside. Throw in the pleasure of cooking over hot coals, with the evocative aroma of smoke mixed with sizzling food, and that’s summer, right there.
The name is mostly agreed to come from the Caribbean word ‘barbacoa’ for cooking meat over charcoal.
You’re probably aware of Fairtrade food and drink, but we sell Fair Trade charcoal, too — and have been since 2009. It means a portion of our sales go towards charcoal producers and their communities in Namibia. During lockdown, more than £12,000 of this money provided essentials such as food when production stopped.
Don’t limit your grilling to bangers and burgers: tropical fruit, marshmallows and chocolate-stuffed bananas taste brilliant when charred over the coals. Our pineapple, chilli and lime recipe works a treat on the barbecue; to find it, search for ‘roasted pineapple’ at coop.co.uk/recipes, then cook until golden. It’s delicious with ice cream or in a colourful fruit salad.
The great outdoors is one of the best bits about a barbecue. So protect it by choosing reusable or recyclable plates, cups and straws. Co-op has a great range of reusable picnicware, including long-lasting bamboo in a modern grey design.
Fancy a bun to put your burger in, but can’t handle wheat? Not a problem. You’ll find award-winning gluten-free rolls and bread in our Free From range. If dairy’s an issue, you can round off the meal with Co-op Free From Strawberry & Vanilla Cones, 4 pack. With this range, no one has to miss out.
If you’re catering for vegans, check out Co-op’s huge range of GRO plant-based products. Our Co-op GRO Sizzlin’ Sausages, 350g, made with mushrooms, herbs and black pepper, combine excellent texture with flavour. And you would never guess that the dressing in Co-op GRO Coleslaw, 250g, is dairy-free! Look out for other GRO offerings instore, part of our ever-expanding vegan range.
This fiery chilli blend, made with red pepper, herbs and spices, is hot right now! The flavours are great for barbecues, so why not try heating ready to eat Co-op Harissa Chicken Bites with Dip, 125g, over coals? But, of course, don’t put the dip on your barbecue!
To make your barbecue super-special, look out for foods in our premium range. Co-op Irresistible Hereford Beef Burgers, 340g, for instance, are made with 100% British beef — they’re great paired with Co-op Irresistible Brioche Burger Buns, 4 pack. And you can really taste the quality in our award-winning Co-op Irresistible British Outdoor Bred Pork Sausages, 400g. Try them in our recipe or, for more ideas, search ‘hot dogs’ at coop.co.uk/recipes
British sausages, Swiss cheese and Russian-style dressing for an American-influenced hot dog. Fusion street food at its finest!
Serves 6 • Ready in 15 mins
- 6 Co-op Irresistible British outdoor bred pork sausages
- 6 Co-op white finger rolls
FOR THE TOPPING
- 4 tbsp Co-op mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp Co-op hot horseradish sauce
- 1 tsp hot sauce (we used Tabasco)
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 3 medium Co-op whole pickled gherkins, chopped
- 60g Emmental, grated
- Cook the sausages on the barbecue or under the grill, according to the pack instructions.
- Toast the finger rolls on the barbie, under a preheated grill or in a griddle pan.
- Make a dressing: combine the mayo, ketchup, sauces and smoked paprika, then season to taste.
- Divide the dressing, chopped gherkins, and Emmental between the hot dogs to serve.
Rubbed on chicken, pork or fish, or simply mixed with mayonnaise, jerk is a Caribbean-style taste explosion. Try it in our jerk chicken skewers, cooked over the coals, or jerk-style prawns. To find the recipes, search for ‘jerk’ at coop.co.uk/recipes
Your imagination is the limit when it comes to kebabs. Mix and match from the ideas below to find your fave.
Low or no alcohol
We have a great range of wine in red, white and pink, including Co-op Low Alcohol Sauvignon Blanc and Cabernet Tempranillo, and Co-op 0% Rozanté Rosé. So you can enjoy the barbie and keep a clear head.
A marinade can boost flavour and save time. You can make it up to three days ahead, then chill in a jar or bottle. Chicken and beef will benefit from marinating for up to 2 hours, but keep it snappy for fish and prawns — 30 minutes is enough. Season the mixture well, to help the marinade work its magic. When barbecuing, baste with any leftover mixture to ramp up the flavour. Search ‘marinades’ at coop.co.uk/recipes
While the coals are heating up, enjoy Co-op snacks such as Burger Balls, 150g, Mixed Olive Trio, 150g, and Aberdeen Angus Steak & Peppercorn Sauce Crinkle Cut Crisps, 150g.
This storecupboard staple is a must-have for a barbecue.
Here are our top tips:
• When you’re cooking steak, you need to oil the meat, not the grill, to make sure it doesn’t stick.
• For salad dressings, you can’t go wrong with the 3/2/1 rule: 3 parts olive oil, 2 parts vinegar and 1 part flavouring, such as mustard.
• Try dipping rosemary or thyme sprigs into olive oil, then brush over your meat — it adds flavour and cuts down on washing-up!
The products in Co-op’s spectacular new summer range are designed to complement each other:
Co-op Irresistible Charred Corn & Aioli Salad Kit, 135g
Paired with… Co-op Irresistible Beef Rib & Brisket Burger with a Cheddar & Ale Melt, 334g
Co-op Irresistible Striped Beetroot & Lemon Pepper Salad Kit, 125g
Paired with… Co-op Mediterranean Style Chicken Sizzle Steaks, 350g
Co-op Irresistible Pork, Jalapeño & Red Leicester Sausages, 400g
Paired with… Co-op Sweetcorn Bites with Chilli & Lime Melt, 320g
With some savvy choices, you can knock up a delicious meal in minutes. Try a baguette filled with steak, mushrooms and rocket; or dessert of fruit, marshmallows and chocolate. Our recipe uses just five fresh ingredients and takes only 20 minutes.
Griddled sweet potato wedges with houmous dip (V) (GF)
Serves 6 • Ready in 20 mins
- 2 large sweet potatoes (750g), cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp Co-op olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 100g Co-op extra virgin olive oil houmous
- 100g Co-op 0% fat Greek style natural yogurt
- Handful flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Parboil the sweet potato wedges for 8-10 mins until just tender. Whisk together the oil, lemon juice and smoked paprika, then season.
- Drain the wedges, pat dry and brush all over with the oil mixture. Cook on the barbecue for 8-10 mins, turning occasionally, until nicely charred. Alternatively, cook on a griddle pan.
- Meanwhile, mix together the houmous and yogurt in a bowl, then scatter over the lemon zest and chopped parsley. Serve the wedges with the houmous dip on the side.