Berry & pear porridge (V)
Caramelising the pear and toasting the nuts are quick ways to add flavour
Serves 2 • Ready in 15 mins
- 15g pistachios, chopped
- 10g Co-op flaked almonds
- 10g Co-op unsalted butter
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 pears, quartered and cored
- 100g Co-op porridge oats
- 200ml Co-op semi-skimmed milk
- 150g Co-op freshly frozen summer fruits
- Toast the pistachios and almonds in a dry pan over a medium heat for 1-2 mins, then tip onto a plate.
- In the same pan, melt the butter with the cinnamon over a medium heat for 2-3 mins, stirring. Add the pear quarters and cook for 4-5 mins, turning occasionally, until tender.
- While the pear is caramelising, add the oats and milk to a separate pan. Cook on a medium-low heat for 5 mins, until thick and creamy.
- To make the compote, reserve a few berries to garnish and put the rest in a glass bowl with 2 tsp water. Cover and microwave on full power for 1 minute 30 seconds.
- Spoon the porridge into two bowls, top with the compote, nuts and caramelised pears, and garnish with the remaining berries.
Smoky bean, pepper & squash hash (V) (GF)
This warming hash is perfect for breakfast or brunch
Serves 4 • Ready in 30 mins
- ½ tbsp Co-op Irresistible cold pressed rapeseed oil
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced
- 2 peppers, chopped
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 400g can Co-op butter beans, drained
- 100g Co-op Greek Feta cheese
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the onion and peppers for 5 mins, until softened. Add the butternut squash and cook for 4-5 mins, until it starts to colour.
- Sprinkle the smoked paprika into the pan and season. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add 250ml water to the pan, cover and cook for 10-15 mins or until the squash is tender.
- Stir the butter beans into the pan and cook until heated through. Crumble over the Feta and sprinkle with the parsley to serve.
Toast the seeds from the butternut squash and sprinkle them over the hash for a tasty topping.
Strawberry & coconut smoothie bowl (V)
Kick off the day with this rainbow bowl, full of juicy fruit and crunchy toppings
Serves 2 • Ready in 10 mins, plus freezing
- 1 Co-op Fairtrade banana, peeled and frozen (see step 1)
- 300g Co-op strawberries, hulled, plus 4 to garnish
- ½ x 200ml can Co-op light coconut milk
- 100ml almond drink
- 25g Co-op simple granola
- 80g Co-op Irresistible blueberries
- 10g Co-op desiccated coconut
- You need to freeze the banana ahead of time, so peel it, then freeze for at least 4 hours, or overnight so it’s ready in the morning.
- Put the 300g strawberries in a blender with the frozen banana, coconut milk and almond drink. Blend well, then scoop into bowls.
- Top with bands of granola, blueberries, desiccated coconut and the extra strawberries, sliced.
Bananas to spare? Peel them and pop in your freezer, ready to whizz up into this tasty brekkie.
Beetroot & avocado toasts with chick peas (V)
Take avocado on toast to the next level with earthy beetroot houmous and spiced chick peas
Serves 6 • Ready in 20 mins
- 400g can Co-op chick peas in water, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp Co-op Irresistible cold pressed rapeseed oil
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 250g pack Co-op British cooked beetroot, drained and diced
- Zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 6 slices Co-op Irresistible hand finished white sourdough
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Put half the chick peas onto a baking tray and drizzle with half the oil. Sprinkle with the turmeric and garlic powder, season and mix evenly. Bake for 15-18 mins.
- Meanwhile, make the beetroot houmous. Put the remaining chick peas and oil into a blender with the beetroot, lemon juice and cumin. Blend until fairly smooth, but keep some of the texture. Season to taste.
- Toast the sourdough slices, then spread each one generously with the beetroot houmous. Top with the avocado, and sprinkle with the baked chick peas and lemon zest. Season with black pepper to serve.