THE MAGIC OF MARINADES
Marinating is a brilliant way to maximise flavour. With just a few simple ingredients and a bit of time, you can supercharge your food for the barbecue. It also helps tenderise meat or fish, so it‘s worth the effort. We caught up with Co-op executive innovation chef, Dai Llewellyn, for some handy tips: ‘The longer you marinate something, the more it will absorb the flavours — aim for at least an hour, but overnight if possible. For veggies, 30 mins to a couple of hours is the sweet spot.‘ He adds: ‘The great thing about marinades is that they‘re so adaptable; you can experiment and develop your own signature recipes. Just mix everything well and check the food is evenly coated.‘
• Honey & mustard marinade 3 parts honey, 2 parts olive oil, 1 part mustard, squeeze of lemon. Great for sausages, wings or sweet potato.
• BBQ sauce marinade 1 part Worcestershire sauce, 1 part white wine vinegar, 2 parts ketchup, 2 parts light brown sugar, pinch of cayenne pepper, pinch of garlic powder. Ideal for ribs and burgers.
• Sweet & sour marinade 1 part brown sugar, 1 part malt vinegar, 3 parts tomato ketchup, splash of soy sauce. Try it with fish and veggie skewers.
Beetroot burgers with summer slaw
These juicy burgers will go down a treat with meat-eaters and vegans alike, so make enough to go round!
Serves 6 • Ready in 40 mins, plus chilling
FOR THE BEETROOT BURGERS
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium raw beetroot, finely grated
- 2 x 400g cans Co-op red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g can Co-op cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely crushed
- Handful flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 50g vegan dried breadcrumbs
FOR THE SUMMER SLAW
- ½ red cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 Co-op British carrots, coarsely grated
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- Handful flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 6 vegan burger buns (recipe at coop.co.uk/recipes)
- 2 ripe avocados, mashed
- First, make the burgers. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Fry the onion for 3 mins, until starting to soften. Add the beetroot and beans and fry for 5-8 mins, tossing frequently, until the beans start to crisp.
- Tip the beetroot mixture into a food processor with the remaining burger ingredients. Blend until it starts to stick together, but still has some texture. Shape into six burger patties and place on a baking tray. Chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Fire up the barbecue. Meanwhile, mix together all the ingredients for the slaw in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Brush the burgers with the remaining 1 tbsp oil and grill on the barbecue for 8-10 mins each side, until piping hot and lightly charred.
- Cut the buns in half and lightly toast on the barbecue. Spoon some of the slaw onto the buns, top with the burgers, then finish with the mashed avocado. Serve with any remaining slaw on the side.
Use a leftover loaf end to make the breadcrumbs for these burgers — just blitz it in your food processor.
BUILD YOUR BURGER
‘Stacking the ingredients in the right order will help your burger hold together,‘ says Dai. ‘Start with the base of the bun, preferably griddled, then add a condiment such as ketchup or mayo. Next, salad leaves — choose iceberg for crunch, or rocket for a peppery kick. Follow that with your patty, then cheese (go for something that will hold its own against the flavours of the burger). Finish with a pickle, like the classic gherkin or pickled red onion, and top with the lid.‘
PICK UP INSTORE
Co-op Irresistible Beef Rib & Brisket Burgers, 334g
MAKE FISH THE STAR
‘If you’re barbecuing straight on the grill, go for a robust fish that will stand up to the heat, like salmon or monkfish,‘ suggests Dai. ‘Oil and season the skin for a crispy finish. For more delicate fish, wrap it in foil parcels then pop onto the grill. Add a splash of liquid (like lemon juice) to the parcel and your fish will steam as it cooks, for a lovely, juicy finish. Barbecuing fish whole is super-easy and can give great results — try stuffing it with aromatic herbs, lemon, chilli and spring onion for even more flavour.‘
PICK UP INSTORE
Co-op Chipotle BBQ Salmon Fillets, 210g
Mediterranean vegetable salad
Charring the veggies on the barbecue before marinating brings out their natural sweetness
Serves 6 • Ready in 20 mins, plus marinating
- 1 red pepper, quartered
- 1 yellow pepper, quartered
- 2 courgettes, peeled into lengths with a vegetable peeler
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 4 Co-op sundried tomatoes in oil, finely chopped, plus 2 tbsp oil from the jar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 rosemary sprigs, finely chopped
- 2 thyme sprigs, leaves only
- Zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 60g pack Co-op wild rocket
- Handful fresh basil, torn
- 400g crusty bread, torn, to serve
- Fire up the barbecue. When hot, cook the pepper, courgette and red onion on the grill for 2-3 mins each side, until starting to soften.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the sundried tomatoes and their oil, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and lemon zest and juice. Season to taste.
- Add the cooked vegetables to the marinade. Toss well and leave in the fridge for 1 hour or up to 24 hours, to allow the flavours to mature.
- To serve, put the rocket into a large dish, top with the marinated vegetables and sprinkle with the basil. Add crusty bread on the side to mop up the juices.
Grilled avocado with spiced chick peas
This simple vegan side is packed with spice and texture, from the chargrilled avocado to the crunchy pan-fried chick peas
Serves 6 • Ready in 15 mins
- 2 tbsp Co-op extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 400g can Co-op chick peas, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 3 ripe avocados, halved
- 4 tbsp unsweetened soya yogurt alternative or dairy-free coconut yogurt
- 1 lemon, ½ zested and juiced, and ½ cut into wedges
- Handful flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Fire up the barbecue. Toss together 1 tbsp oil, 1½ tsp smoked paprika, the cumin seeds, 1 tsp ground coriander, 1 garlic clove, the red onion and the chick peas.
- Place a heavy frying pan on the barbecue. Add the chick pea mix and fry for 8-10 mins, tossing occasionally, until crisp and fragrant. Remove from the heat, season, then lightly crush with the back of a fork.
- Brush the cut side of the avocado halves with the remaining 1 tbsp oil and place, flat side down, onto the barbecue for 3-5 mins, until charred.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing by mixing together the yogurt alternative or coconut yogurt, lemon juice, remaining garlic clove, ground coriander and smoked paprika, until evenly combined.
- Put the charred avocados on a serving platter and fill the stone holes with the chick pea mix, scattering any extra over the top. Drizzle with the dressing and serve garnished with the parsley, and lemon zest and wedges.
Fruit kebabs with vegan ice cream & chopped nuts
Serve up sunshine on a plate with this fast and fruity dessert
Serves 6 • Ready in 20 mins
- 20g unsalted pistachio kernels, finely chopped
- 20g flaked almonds
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 227g pack Co-op British strawberries, hulled
- 2 ripe mangoes, cut into chunks
- ½ small watermelon, cut into chunks
- 2 ripe peaches or nectarines, cut into wedges
- 6 scoops Co-op GRO salted caramel swirl ice cream
- You will also need 6 wooden skewers, soaked in cold water
- Fire up the barbecue. Meanwhile, toss the pistachios and almonds in a frying pan over a medium heat on the hob for 5 mins, until toasted. Mix in 1 tbsp maple syrup and set aside.
- Evenly thread the fruit onto the skewers and brush with the remaining maple syrup. Grill on the barbecue for 2 mins each side, until lightly charred. Serve with the ice cream, scattered with the nuts.
PICK UP INSTORE
- Co-op Moroccan Style Beef & Lamb Kebabs, 360g
- Co-op Loaded Sweetcorn Cobettes, 350g
- Co-op 4 British Beef Quarter Pounder Burgers, 454g
- Co-op GRO The Incredible Burger, 210g
- Co-op Hot & Spicy Buffalo Chicken Wings, 1kg
- Co-op Greek Style Pork Kebabs with Red Pepper, Tomato & Chilli Sauce, 380g
- Co-op Irresistible Bombay Style Potato Salad, 270g